Introduction to Social Welfare Advice & Welfare Benefits, money management and fuel poverty for Link Workers
This course will improve social prescribing link workers’ understanding of social welfare advice needs and the welfare benefits system, money management and fuel poverty issues enabling better identification of those in need of advice and improved ability to support and refer social prescribing clients to advice and other services as needed.
This course will be delivered by the Bromley by Bow Centre and The Benefits Training Company through 4 x 3 hour live interactive training sessions.
- To be able to identify signs that someone has a social welfare advice issue
- Build knowledge of the range of issues social welfare advice services can support
- Understand what a link worker can help with and what needs to be addressed by a trained social welfare advisor
- Understand how to make an effective referral to social welfare advice services
- Understand how the benefits system is structured and who can claim each of the benefits which make up the system
- Be able to complete a basic benefits check to ensure people are claiming their likely entitlements
- Know how to check that a benefits decision is correct and what to do if it is not
Additional fourth session with a financial inclusion worker to support social prescribing clients in the cost of living crisis
- Know how to open a conversation with clients about their financial situation
- Feel confident in taking forward a conversation about money management, including issues of debt and arrears
- Know how to refer clients for support with budgeting, income maximisation and debt and arrears issues
Participants will have access to 12 months free ongoing advice and support from the Benefits Training Company by email and phone.
This training can suit whole teams, such as social prescribing teams and primary care teams including, receptionists, care navigators, care coordinators, health and wellbeing coaches, community navigators, housing association staff and other similar roles.
To discuss how we might support your team or if you have any questions please email email@example.com